Louie's Tux Shop is a wedding attire business based in Indiana with 17 locations across the state. Louie's Tux Shop is one of the nations largest...Read more independent rental specialist with locations in Indianapolis, Greenwood, Carmel, Avon, Noblesville, Fort Wayne, Lafayette, South Bend, Elkhart, Mishawaka,...
The Little White Dress Bridal Shop is a wedding boutique situated in Denver, Colorado. The experienced team welcomes to-be-weds from throughout the...Read more Rocky Mountain region and beyond to explore their selection of stunning wedding gowns. You can explore their carefully curated collection before...
Carolyn Allen's Bridals & Tuxedos is a wedding dress boutique located in Orlando, Florida. Personalized Service and Distinctive Attire for the Entire...Read more Wedding Party CAROLYN ALLEN’S BRIDALS & TUXEDOS IS A SMALL, FAMILY-OWNED AND OPERATED FULL-SERVICE BRIDAL SHOP WITH AFFORDABLE PRICES SERVING THE...
Brides N' Belles Bridal Boutique is a wedding dress store located in Reedsburg, Wisconsin. Specializing in all things wedding dress-related, this...Read more family-owned and operated business has more than 35 years of experience in the wedding industry. With their extensive collection of gowns and the...
Nebraska member of the Association of Wedding Gown Specialists, Omaha Lace Cleaner is the premier gown care service in Nebraska. Our team is...Read more rigorously trained in the finest techniques to ensure that your gown is completely protected and perfectly preserved. Omaha Lace Cleaners understands that...
Certified master cleaners Vogue Cleaners have been restoring wedding gowns in San Francisco, California since 1946. Their focus is truly on customer...Read more satisfaction, as can be seen in their wedding gown cleaning process, where they allow you to inspect their work before the preservation is completed....
Five Star Wedding Gown Specialists is a professional wedding dress cleaning, restoration, and alteration company based out of San Antonio, Texas. This...Read more exceptional company offers couples a wide range of helpful services to assist them in achieving the perfect look for their big day. This team of...
Lily's Bridal is a wedding dress service based in Halethorpe, Maryland. The boutique began in 2007 and is named after my mom and my grandmom. From the...Read more day Lily's Bridal was formed in my heart the #1 goal was love. At Lily's Bridal, you will be appreciated and cared for in a supportive atmosphere. We...
Studio I Do Bridals in Virginia Beach, Virginia is a bridal store offering clients access to an array of bridal gowns, bridesmaids dresses, tuxedos...Read more and other attire and accessories. Founded and owned by Ashley Kimberly McAchran, this business is by appointment only, allowing for dedicated and...
At Piera’s Bridal Couture we believe every bride should have a dress shopping “experience” she will never forget and find a dress that is perfect for...Read more her big day! This is why we carefully hand select gowns from some of the industries top designers and have a staff of friendly, and knowledgeable...
When you walk into About Love Bridal and Formal, we guarantee that you will always be welcomed with open arms. Our main priority is to make sure you...Read more are happy and satisfied when you leave our store. We genuinely care about the outcome of your dress, so all of your alterations can be done right here...
Ashley & Alexandria’s Bridal Atelier is a wedding attire boutique located in Southfield, Michigan. This shop features a collection of wedding gowns by...Read more some of the industry’s top designers. From modern and sleek to romantic and traditional, the boutique is sure to have a gown that suits each...
Wedding Pageants & Proms is a chic formal wear boutique located in Boaz, Alabama, that specializes in wedding gowns. This company was originally...Read more established in 1995 and has been helping couples find their ideal marital attire ever since. Owned and operated by Susan Hallmark, she and her talented...
The "Couture by Tess" Bridal label is a USA Trademark. Tess' Bridal Boutique offers luxurious and unique wedding dresses for the Nashville region...Read more with just a short drive to Cookeville, Tennessee. Tess takes great pride in providing hand selected designs from known couture designers such as Randy...
Elegant Bridal shop in Wellesley, Massachusetts. Offering beautiful Bridal gowns and Evening gowns for the Mother of the Bride,/Mother of the Groom,...Read more Bridesmaids, party & cocktail hours, Flower girls & Prom.Also specializing in Plus size wedding gowns and size evening dresses.Dress collections are...
House of Elaine Bridal & Formal Alterations & Custom is a business in Sandusky, Ohio, that offers wedding dress alteration, preservation, and design...Read more services to to-be-weds throughout the local area. Services Offered From expertly fitting a dress to a client's unique body type to designing completely...
Based out of North Charleston, South Carolina, House of Maganda is a wedding gown shop that can help you find the dream dress you've always wanted....Read more Translated from Tagalog, the word Maganda means beauty in English — which you'll expect to find at this fine establishment! Owner and designer Stephanie...
Alterations Express is a salon-style alteration and tailoring house with walk-in service, spacious dressing rooms, fitting specialists, and an...Read more extraordinary team of tailors and seamstresses at every storefront location. Visit any of our 12 locations for a unique customer experience and a service...
Harper + Jones is a Fort Worth, Texas-based designer of bespoke suits and tuxedos for weddings and other special occasions. Founder Drew Jones...Read more believes that you deserve to celebrate your special day in an outfit that feels modern and innovative and fits you perfectly. Drew's signature design...
Fashion Dreams Inc is a wedding attire company located in Hicksville, New York. This business specializes in wedding attire of all kinds, from Western...Read more to cultural. They can help you find the perfect look for everyone in your wedding party. Services Offered Fashion Dreams Inc offers Indian suits,...
Polka Dot Heart Bridal is a wedding dress shop in Omaha, Nebraska. We focus on reasonably priced wedding gowns, and offer gowns in a full range of...Read more sizes. Our clients have a private appointment experience, and are assisted in their search to find the gown that fulfills expectations and more. Mother...
Atelier Stella is an on-call wedding tailor situated in Palm Beach in Miami, Florida. Whether you desire a white gown for your walk down the aisle or...Read more a red dress made from soft velvet, this studio has several ideas just for you. They specialize in dresses for you and your wedding party, as well as a...
Bōda Bridal is a designer brand with two locations in SLC and West Jordan, Utah, that specializes in custom wedding gowns. Every garment is designed...Read more locally in Salt Lake City by a team of dedicated professionals. These talented dressmakers use quality fabrics, hand-sewing techniques, and artful...
Barbara Kay’s Boutique is a luxury bridal boutique in Luverne, Minnesota, offering services to couples for their wedding celebration. This dedicated...Read more team boasts years of experience in the wedding industry and has helped countless couples choose the perfect gown for their special day. They pride...
How much does a wedding dress cost?
Buying a wedding dress is unlike purchasing a piece of everyday attire. You’re going to be wearing this dress on one of the most important days of your life, and so you’ll likely spend quite a bit of money on your wedding dress. While wedding dress prices do vary greatly, the average wedding dress cost in the U.S. is $1,000. It typically ranges from $280 to $1,650, but you can purchase a wedding dress for far above and below those prices.
- $ 100 or less Lower range
- $ 1,000 Average cost
- $ 280 - $ 1,650 Most couples spend between
- $ 2,600 or more Upper range
What impacts wedding dress prices?
What additional wedding dress costs should a bride plan for?
- Alterations: If you want to drastically change your wedding dress, your alterations may end up costing more than your actual wedding dress!
- Undergarments and accessories: Be sure to factor in your accessories— bridal undergarments, shoes, and more. These accessories will greatly affect how your gown looks and fits, so don’t forget to include them in your wedding dress cost.
- Cleaning and preservation: Don’t be surprised if you’re still spending money on your wedding dress after your wedding! Whether you plan on wearing your wedding dress again, passing it on to a future generation, or none of the above, it’s still a good idea to have your gown professionally cleaned and preserved. Wedding dress cleaning and preservation can cost $200 or more.
How can you save money on a wedding dress?
- Don’t try on dresses that are over-budget: Be upfront with your bridal salon consultant about your budgets—and be sure ask about the cost of each dress you try on. Avoid the temptation of trying on a wedding dress that’s out of your price range.
- Find a simple wedding dress, and accessorize: As mentioned, a simple and relatively unadorned wedding gown will cost less than an extremely detailed wedding dress. If you’re on a tight wedding dress budget, we recommend finding a simple gown and using a beaded sash or a brooch to give it some extra sparkle.
- Find a dress you love as is: Any significant alterations or customizations that you do to a wedding dress will cost (a lot of!) money. Therefore, if you want to make significant changes to a wedding dress (add sleeves, change the silhouette, etc.), that gown is probably not for you. Look for a wedding dress that you love mostly as it looks off the hanger.
- Scour sample sales: Many bridal salons offer sample sales where they sell sample dresses from past seasons. These sample dresses are typically in sizes 6 to 12, so if you fall in that size category, you may find a gorgeous gown at a low price at one of these sales.
- Visit trunk shows: If you’re set on purchasing a gown by a specific designer, you might find a deal at a trunk show. Trunk shows are when a bridal salon features the collection of a particular dress designer—and usually offers a discount (usually about 5 or 10 percent off that designer’s wedding dress prices). Research which salons in your area carry your favorite designers, and check their websites for upcoming trunk shows.
- Give yourself time to shop: A wedding dress can take several months to arrive after you’ve ordered it. Be sure to start shopping for your wedding dress as soon as possible —many brides shop at least nine months in advance, if not more. If you wait until the last minute, you may end up paying rush charges for your dress, which can greatly add to your total wedding dress cost.
How much does it cost to alter a wedding dress?
What questions should you ask a wedding dress tailor?
- How many fitting appointments will I need? How long will the process take?
- What types of alterations do you recommend for my wedding dress?
- Have you worked with a dress and fabric like mine before?
- Can you provide a cost for my alterations?
- How will you store my wedding dress?
- What do I need to bring to my first fitting appointment?
Wedding Dresses and Gowns
As you plan your wedding, one of the most important decisions you’ll make is your wedding dress. The dress you choose should reflect your unique style and personality and make you feel like the most beautiful woman in the room. How does a bride say “yes” to that perfect dress? Here’s a quick guide to shopping for wedding dresses.
Set Your Budget
When you start browsing bridal gowns, it’s easy to fall in love no matter the price tag. Before you even pick up a bridal magazine, set a strict wedding dress budget. We suggest allocating around 10 percent of your overall wedding budget to your dress – and don’t forget to include the cost of your wedding accessories in that line item!
Narrow Down Your Style
About a year out from your wedding, start browsing bridal dresses and get a feel for how they match up with your style. Now is the time to educate yourself on silhouettes, necklines, fabrics and more. Our wedding dress style guide can help.
Once you’ve set your wedding date and chosen a venue, add these factors into your dress calculation. Are you marrying in the winter at a beautiful church? Then you might choose a dress with heavier fabric – like satin – in a more traditional silhouette like a ball gown or A-Line.
Book Wedding Dress Salons
About 10 to eight months before your wedding, it’s time to get boots (or heels) on the ground to start your wedding dress hunt. Consider wedding dress salons in your area and book appointments with your top choices – most salons do not allow walk-ins. Take a look at our complete wedding dress shopping guide to learn all the tips and tricks to finding the wedding dress of your dreams.
Trying on Bridal Dresses
As your salon appointments approach, assemble your fashion squad to give you feedback and moral support. Keep your posse small, as too many opinions can get overwhelming. When you arrive at the salon, your stylist will discuss your dress preferences and budget and help you choose options. Keep an open mind; your stylist knows what looks good on different body types. If your stylist suggests a dress, even if it’s not a silhouette you are considering, give it a try. You might be surprised.
Choosing Your Bridal Gown
When your heart leaps and you can’t stop grinning at the reflection in the mirror, you’ve found the right wedding dress. The salon will likely ask for a down payment and then order your dress. Over the next months, your dress will be created just for you. It should arrive a few months before your wedding so you have time for fittings and alterations at your salon. (See our full wedding dress shopping timeline.) You may feel like you’re waiting forever, but this is the perfect time to pick your wedding accessories and knock off other items on your wedding to-do list.
Ready to start shopping for wedding dresses? WeddingWire is here to help. Put in your location and search for the top salons in your area. Read reviews and start making appointments. Happy dress hunting!